The Founders' VisionThey
were Baptist pioneers back in the days when Texas was its own nation.
They devoted their lives to the Lord's work in a rough land. And in the
face of seemingly overwhelming odds, they brought to life a dream of
creating an institution of higher education.
By Eugene W. Baker
Thirty-five rugged Texas Baptist pioneers gathered in a small building near Rutersville during the first week of October
1841 for the first annual meeting of the Union Baptist Association.
Although they represented only nine small Baptist churches, this
handful of men eagerly accepted the challenge to share the love of
Christ throughout the infant Republic of Texas that many were calling
the "new Promised Land."
As they developed their plans and strategies, few, if any, realized
that one of their decisions would eventually lead to the development of
Baylor University, today the oldest university in Texas and the largest
Baptist institution of higher education in the world.
On the second day of the conference, Robert Emmett Bledsoe
Baylor--judge of the third judicial district of the Republic and
corresponding secretary of the association--presented a report, part of
which concerned educational needs and the formation of a society to
sponsor the development of a denominational institution.
The proposal was not original with Judge Baylor, but was the concept of
William M. Tryon, newly elected moderator of the association. Tryon, an
appointee of the American Baptist Home Mission Society, was thirty-one
years of age. Although he had been in Texas but a few months, he had
just completed one of the most successful revivals ever held in the
short history of the Republic. Judge Baylor, also an ordained minister,
had assisted Tryon in conducting religious services during the summer
and early fall. It probably was during this period that Tryon and
Baylor had discussed the need for a Baptist university in Texas.
The day after Baylor presented his report, the associational
representatives passed a resolution requesting that the moderator
appoint a committee to take into consideration "so much of the said
report as related to the subject of education." Later that morning, the
appointed committee recommended the formation of an education society
and asked "that the brethren generally unite with and endeavor to
promote the object of such society." It was organized immediately as
the Texas Baptist Education Society, with Baylor as president and Tryon
as vice president.
Among those named to the board of managers was James Huckins
(pictured), who, in 1840, had been the first American Baptist
missionary appointed to Texas. Since that time he had founded and
currently was pastor of the Baptist churches in Galveston and Houston.
In addition to electing Huckins to the society's board of managers, the
association delegates named him agent of their Home Mission Society and
their religious book depository, and requested him to serve as editor
of the Texas column in the Kentucky-based Baptist Banner and Western Pioneer.
Other officials of the society closely involved in the early work of
this body were S. P. Andrews, Noah T. Byars, W. T. Collins, Stephen
Williams, B. B. Baxter, Gail Borden, W. H. Ewing, Hosea Garrett, James
S. Lester, J. L. Farquahar, and Z. N. Morrell. Of these men, only
Byars, Baxter, Garrett, and Morrell were ministers, and each of them
had another occupation as a primary source of income.
Catalysts for Education
The objectives of the Educational Society were to establish an
"academical and theological institution" and "to assist in procuring an
education for those young men who give evidence of being called of God
to preach the Gospel, and who shall have the approbation of their
respective churches." According to the constitution of the society,
anyone was eligible for membership, regardless of denominational
affiliation, but those on the executive committee were required to be
The creation of an education society to promote religious educational
interests was not original with this group in Texas. It had been a
well-tested method within the denomination for at least a quarter
century. Following the religious awakening of the early 1800s, Baptists
developed missionary societies to spread the Gospel across the world.
In 1814, representatives of these societies, which were scattered
across the states, formed the General Missionary Convention of the
Baptist Denomination in the United States of America for Foreign
At the second session of this convention, which met only every third
year, the delegates recognized the necessity of an educated ministry
and recommended the formation of education societies. The rapid growth
of these groups was phenomenal, and within two decades a Baptist
education society was operating in almost every state in the Union.
Though originally created to provide financial support to ministerial
students, the education societies gradually became catalysts for the
creation of institutions of learning. By the late 1830s, Baptist
schools established by the societies offered both literary and
theological education, but the number of students preparing for the
ministry was usually much smaller than the number of students enrolled
in general education courses.
Tryon had benefited from Baptist funding of his education while
enrolled as one of the original students in Mercer Institute in
Penfield, Georgia, and James Huckins had received Baptist financial
support at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Both of these
missionary-appointees, as well as the other members of the Texas
Baptist Education Society, recognized the value of a Baptist university
in Texas and were anxious to see one established.
At the formation of the Texas Baptist Education Society in October
1841, money was subscribed, and several large tracts of land were
promised to help fund a university. The following May, a planter in
Montgomery County offered his entire plantation, worth at least $3,500,
as the site for the school.
Series of Unfortunate Events
Unfortunately, all plans for funding a denominational institution had
to be postponed because of invasions into Texas by Mexican troops
during the spring and fall of 1842. The incursions were not, as feared,
attempts to recapture Texas, but merely harassments in retaliation for
actions previously directed by Republic President Mirabeau B. Lamar.
In the summer of 1841, Lamar, without congressional approval, had
authorized a three-hundred-man contingent to go to Santa Fe to
encourage citizens of the town to annex themselves to Texas for mutual
political and commercial benefits. During their three-month trek toward
Santa Fe, the men suffered from faulty reconnaissance, insufficient
provisions, and Indian attacks, and they were eventually ambushed and
taken captive to Mexico City.
Although the Mexican forces retreated quickly after both 1842 invasions, poor communications, so prevalent during these
times, delayed the news of the withdrawals by several weeks. Even when
the people in Texas learned that the Mexicans were no longer
threatening the frontier towns, rumors of impending invasions continued
to spread throughout the Republic and even into the United States.
Because of the resulting unsettled conditions, only informal sessions
of the Texas Baptist Society were held in 1842 and 1843. During this
period, most schools in the Republic suspended classes, and several
institutions closed their doors permanently because of lack of support.
By 1844, although fear of the Mexicans had greatly diminished, Indian
attacks continued to occur frequently along the frontier. Even so, the
general state of affairs was greatly improved, and the Education
Society reorganized in an attempt to pursue its original quest. Once
again, R. E. B. Baylor (pictured) was selected president and William
Tryon vice president.
The society then made plans to create a university upon a plan "…so
broad that the requirements of existing conditions would be fully met.
. . ." The "existing conditions" referred to the need for educating
ministers as well as those individuals interested only in secular
learning. In addition to meeting these needs, the society wanted to
establish an institution that ". . . would be fully susceptible of
enlargement and development to meet the needs of all the ages to come."
The initial step to accomplish these objectives was to secure a charter
from the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Though not legally
required, as many schools operated in Texas without charters, it seemed
to be the most desirable course to follow. Therefore, the members of
the society requested that Tryon, Baylor, and J. G. Thomas draft a
petition and present it to the lawmakers when they convened at
Washington-on-the-Brazos in December for the Ninth Congress.
Tryon was personally acquainted with many of the congressmen since he
had unofficially served as Senate chaplain during the Seventh Congress
and had been formally elected to that position in the Eighth Congress.
Thomas, a trained lawyer and clerk of the Union Association, was
corresponding secretary of the Education Society. He had been extremely
active in denominational affairs during his three years in Texas. How
much value he was in helping to secure the charter is not known, but
his rapport with the lawyers serving in Congress was probably of some
In the fall of 1844, Baylor visited Tryon at his farm at Hidalgo Bluff.
There the necessary documents for presentation to Congress were
developed as Baylor dictated and Tryon recorded his words on paper. The
only part not completed when the materials were presented to
congressional officials was the name by which the school would be known.
Judge Baylor originally suggested the name of Tryon, since it was
Tryon's idea to establish the institution. Tryon had declined, however,
fearing that since he had worked so strongly to see the university
created, some might feel he had done it for personal gain. Tryon, in
turn, had suggested the university be named for Baylor, who demurred on
the grounds that he had done nothing worthy to be so honored.
During the ten days the petition was under consideration by the Senate,
the names San Jacinto University and Milam University were successively
recommended. Sometime during this period, Kenneth Anderson, vice
president of the Republic, added his support to Tryon's suggestion. As
a result, on the final reading, the name Baylor University was
recommended and approved. The House quickly endorsed the Senate’s
decision, and on February 1, 1845, Texas president Anson Jones approved
the charter by affixing his signature.
The actions of the trustees during the next several months encompassed
the selection of Independence as the site for the institution and the
naming of the president and the faculty. With these accomplished by the
spring of 1846, Baylor University was ready to begin operation.
On May 18, 1846, twenty-four young boys and girls gathered in a small,
partially refurbished frame schoolhouse on the southern edge of
Independence (pictured) to open the first class of Baylor University.
Thirty-year-old Henry F. Gillette, a native of Connecticut who had been
in Texas teaching and farming for about six years, greeted the
students. He was the only employee of the university, as president
Henry L. Graves had not yet arrived.
The students enrolled in the preparatory department since collegiate
courses were not yet offered. Tuition ranged from $8 to $15 per
five-month term, depending on the courses of study, which included the
three "Rs" as well as geography, grammar, philosophy, chemistry, and
the Latin and Greek languages.
As the enrollment increased to seventy toward the end of the term,
another teacher was authorized. This position was not filled
immediately, for with the arrival of President Graves in February 1847,
a large portion of the teaching load was shifted to his shoulders.
Graves and Gillette undoubtedly brought prestige to the school during
its early years, as both were able educators and were well respected by
the religious and educational leaders of the state. The fact that
Gillette was an Episcopalian indicates the tolerance of the founding
fathers, who were more interested in the abilities of an individual
than in his denominational affiliation.
The five-year administration of Graves was plagued with several
traumatic events. Four original trustees resigned; another, William M.
Tryon, died; finances dwindled; salaries went unpaid; and Gillette
left, principally because of "hardships" he had to endure.
There were some things, however, that gave optimism to supporters of
the school. Enrollment remained stable; fundraising activities,
directed by James Huckins beginning in March 1848, began to attract
donors; buildings were planned and started; new teachers were employed;
and additional courses were added.
Graves, serving as pastor of the Independence Baptist Church as well as
president of Baylor, was influential in securing interest within the
denomination for the university, and in 1850 the two-year-old Baptist
State Convention took over sponsorship of the institution.
Transition in Leadership
In June 1851, Graves surprised the trustees--as well as the Baptist
State Convention delegates who were meeting at Independence for their
first annual session--by announcing his resignation. He claimed poor
health, though some felt it may have been the gross weight of the
difficulties associated with running the school in its primitive
condition. Graves's final year, however, had been one of the best.
Among the highlights had been the completion of the school's first
permanent hall, later named in his honor.
At a candlelight session of the convention on the evening of Graves'
resignation, the delegates contributed an endowment fund of more than
$5,000. It was the first real outpouring of support from the
denomination for Baylor. Had Graves received this kind of backing, he
might have remained at the helm of the institution, perhaps changing
the entire course of the university.
Graves's replacement, acquired within twenty-four hours of the
president's resignation, was the Reverend Rufus C. Burleson, pastor of
the Baptist church in Houston. Though a twenty-seven-year-old bachelor
with no experience in directing an educational institution, he was
unanimously selected by the trustees to head the school.
Burleson accepted the presidency with stipulations related to financial
operations, quality of facilities, and the practice of coeducation. To
meet his demands, the trustees agreed to raise a $50,000 endowment,
build whatever structures the enrollment dictated, and never to go into
debt for anything--agreements that were never kept. The policy of
educating boys and girls in the same rooms, however, was changed. When
fifty-two students matriculated on September 1, 1851, the male students
were placed in Graves Hall on Allen Hill, half a mile away from Academy
Hill, where the females were left to study in the original wooden
Horace Clark was given charge of the girls, and Burleson accepted
responsibility for the education of the boys. This division of labor
was a key to the controversy that arose between the two men a few years
later. Clark believed he had absolute control over the entire female
operation. Burleson felt he should be directly responsible for the male
students but also maintain a supervisory role over the female
department since he was president of the entire university.
The inability of the two men to reconcile their positions led to
Burleson's move to Waco in 1861. When Burleson left Baylor, the
institution was hardly recognizable as the same campus over which he
had taken control ten years earlier. During his administration, the
curriculum had been expanded to include ancient and modern literature,
natural philosophy, civil engineering, physiology, moral and
intellectual philosophy, evidences of Christianity, history, and
In addition, the library holdings had been increased, three literary
societies and two fraternities had been organized, and several new
structures had been erected on both campuses. Approximately forty
faculty members taught the more than two thousand students who enrolled
while Burleson was president. Of this number, about eighty-five were
granted degrees, approximately one third of them in law.
Click on the links below for more on Baylor's past presidents:
Samuel P. Brooks
Gov. Pat M. Neff
Dr. Herbert H. Reynolds